Data is the latest oil, and the proliferation of the same every day generates lots of data. So, in this digital era where the world is steeping into digitization, there’s a vital need to protect digital data from all types of Cyberattacks & Cybercrimes. Now here comes the role of Cybersecurity professionals into play to protect the organization’s data & to safeguard the computer networks. This blog is just curated for you.
This blog will go over various job roles & different hats that a cyber security aspirant could wear after pursuing the cyber security courses.
Cybersecurity – an Introduction
In simple terms, Cybersecurity is the process of protecting digitally stored data from unauthorized access from a third party to ensure data security. Additionally, the major pandemic industries, including government organizations, educational institutions, banks, the healthcare sector, etc., are going digital. So, the digital world is the new normal, and so is the threat of cyber attacks, loss of privacy, and security breaches.
As a result, there’s a chance for hacking every 39 seconds, which sums up to an average of 2,244 times a day that is a serious issue for both companies and customers. A cyber attack could happen with even one click, costing the company a fortune and loss of trust & reputation.
So, this shows the crucial need for cybersecurity, and fortunately, this is a booming career space with the best rewarding and compensating job roles ever with zero percent of unemployment rate due to rapidly growing economy with the demand of 1 million cyber security professionals alone in India. Let’s look into the courses, jobs, and skills required in this field to be at the top.
There are various ways for pursuing cybersecurity courses based on important criteria, including price, content covered and skills acquired, time commitment and job placement rates, etc. There can be two basic options, including online courses and classroom certification. However, the online courses outrun the traditional classroom approach due to the customizable and flexible approach. They have been a safe play since the covid-19 pandemic took a toll on the economy.
The following are the different approaches to pursuing cyber security related courses:
- By pursuing a bachelor’s degree, one can get entry-level related job roles.
- Through a master’s degree and Ph.D. in cybersecurity, one can become a professional at any desired level.
- Through cyber security online certification courses offered by Great Learning, one can pursue free of cost, including reasonable charges for advanced level of courses.
- Lastly, through rigorous training, also known as boot camps for quickly acquiring the skills within a short period.
Cyber Security Jobs – Top careers in the Cybersecurity field
The cyber security job roles are mostly classified on certain criteria, and the nature of these jobs varies from each other. The important criteria on which these job roles are categorized & defined are as follows:
- Educational qualification
- Experience in the professional work areas (area of expertise)
- Passionate area of work
- Cyber Security certification
By considering the above parameters, one can select the job role that fits correctly and consider the cyber security courses pursued earlier.
Now, let’s take a look into the top careers in the Cybersecurity field. Below is the table depicting the top career job roles and a short description of the concerned job role and average salary credentials.
|Bug Bounty Specialist
|Bug Bounty provides the platform for hackers to chase security flaws at an organization
|$ 3,00,000 – $ 5,00,000
|Chief Information Security Officer (CISO)
|Varies according to organizational size and its data & security
|$ 4,20,000 – $5,00,000
|Lead Software Security Engineer
|A rare job role for top programmers and coders
|$2,25,000 & exceeding
|Cybersecurity Sales Engineer
|Deals with new & innovative tech solutions to be sold
|$ 1,80,000 – $ 2,20,000
|Creates& manages policies, analyze security incidents, conducts risk assessments and designs computer security architecture
|$ 1,29,000 – $ 1,40,000
|Identifies potential areas of vulnerability& safeguards valuable company data, manages information systems team
|$ 1,25,000 – $ 215,000
|Also known as “Ethical Hackers” and helps to identify security weaknesses in both systems and policies
|$ 1,02,000 – $ 1,30,000
|Information Security Analyst
|Prevents, monitors, and responds to data breaches and cyberattacks
|$ 95,000 –$ 98,000
Additional to the above information, the other considerable top careers in the cybersecurity field can be counted as follows:
- Cybersecurity Engineer
- Malware Analyst
- Computer Forensics Analyst
- Chief Technology Officer
- Chief Information Officer
- Cybersecurity Consultant
- Computer and Information System Manager
- Web Application Security Analyst
- Cyber Operations Analyst etc.
The above lists can be considered comprehensive ones. Due to the dynamic environment in this technology, newer and evolving job roles will come into the market every now and then. Each would have their salary and compensation according to the nature and skills required by a specific job role.
Top Game-Changing Skills Required in the Cybersecurity Field
One must ensure that all the courses won’t be either promising the job placements or the actual real-world skills required. So, one has to give utmost attention to detail and note that the companies are looking for & hiring a skill-based candidate rather than a certificate-based candidate. So, having the skills that help in solving real-world problems are very crucial to any cybersecurity aspirant to be at the top of the game. Let’s get to know the top game-changing skills required:
- Coding & Programming Languages: Python and R etc.
- Cloud Security & Internet Of Things (IoS) cybersecurity
- Network Security Control
- Operating systems and Virtual machines
- Network and System Administration
- Additional skills also include being updated on applicable laws & regulations for the time being in force and being updated on evolving & dynamic environments of technology like Metaverse, Non-fungible tokens (NFT), lickable TV Screens, virtual real-estate, Cryptocurrency, and other evolving technologies.
- Security audit to ensure that the things are going as they are supposed to be and analyzing the risk properly and coming up with enterprise risk planning strategies including avoid, eliminate, share and mitigate
By now, one would have an idea about the Cybersecurity courses & job roles along with the top skills required. You should check out this app for regular updates about evolving technologies and free courses.